Tuesday 22 July 2014

Mum's First Moments - Guest Post from Lisa at 'Kid And Capers'

It's with much excitement that I introduce you to this week's guest blogger in the #MumsFirstMoments series. Lisa blogs over at http://kidandcapers.blogspot.co.uk/ where she writes about all things parenting and beauty. You can also find her on twitter @latte_fiend and on Bloglovin'.


"...finding out I was expecting..."


On the 7th July it was two years to the day when I found out that I was pregnant with my wee monkey. A day that changed my life, a day that changed me...for the better :)

The possibility of being pregnant was the furthest thing from my mind. We weren't trying, the relationship was at the point where I knew it was over but didn't know if I had the courage to get out (that's another story for another day) and I was on birth control.

I had been feeling poorly for a few weeks. I work in childcare though and every now and again the kids love to share their illnesses with me. I thought nothing more of it.

Looking back, with hindsight on my side, the only thing that was out of the norm was that my breasts were painful, excruciatingly so. That's normally a warning sign that my period isn't far away though so again, it was nothing out of the ordinary to me.

About a week later I went to meet a friend for lunch. We hadn't seen each other in weeks and we were both eager to play catch up. She mentioned that I was looking a bit pale and I explained that I thought I had caught something from the kids at work, that my period was due and I was just feeling sorry for myself. We changed the subject and spent a few hours gossipping, as you do.

When I hugged her goodbye she whispered "Do a pregnancy test Lis." I immediately burst out laughing. How ridiculous!

As I was walking back to my car I decided to take a detour and do some browsing in the local shopping centre. I popped into Poundland because I wanted to pick up some junk art type materials for my little cousin. As I walked down an aisle I saw the pregnancy tests on the shelf amongst the baby stuff. It made me chuckle. As I was queueing at the checkout I had a wee niggle tell me to go back and pick up a test, they're only £1. I wasn't pregnant so I sure as hell wasn't wasting £9 in Superdrug to prove a friend wrong!

As I was in the lift I decided that I better pop into the toilets. Too many coffees and a longish drive home always makes for an uncomfy journey! Too much info here (sorry!) but as I was about to "go" the wee niggly voice came back and was telling me "do the test now, no point waiting." I peed on the stick and immediately the pregnancy line came up. My legs buckled, my heart started to beat a drum in my chest. I was pregnant...

I've never walked into Superdrug as quickly or with as much purpose in my life and I bought that £9 pregnancy test anyway! I got home, dumped my shopping bags on the hallway floor and did the test. I was 4-5 weeks pregnant. Me! I was growing a wee tiny baby. I started to cry and laugh at the same time. The surprising thing is that once I had that wee cry, had a cuppa and let the news settle I felt a calm wash over me. I was having a baby. I was going to be a Mummy. What else matters?

2 years later I have the most handsome, funny, loving 15 month old wee boy. It's just me and him against the world and I couldn't be happier. This little monster gave me strength that I didn't think I had and he doesn't even know it. He's a blessing and I'm so incredibly grateful every morning when I wake to that little face and hear his wee voice say "hiya Mama." To think the journey all started in a shopping centre toilet...


The 'Mum's First Moments' Blogger Series is all about embracing the first moments of Motherhood. Everything from the moment you discover you're expecting, through all those pregnancy firsts, into child-birth and those first moments as a new Mum and beyond towards the big milestone 'first moments' of bringing your little bundle home, seeing that first gorgeous smile on their faces and more.

If you'd like to get involved comment below, tweet me @shay_noble or email me at shaynoble@outlook.com for some more information :)

No comments:

Post a Comment